Monday, February 18, 2008

St. Skeletor's Day

Valentine’s Day, quite simply put, has to be the most audacious celebration of hypocrisy. I have never understood how something that had nothing to do with the feeling of “Love” got converted into a mass of media hype, with card manufacturers cashing in. Whatever the origins of the holiday, it is quite obviously the most ridiculous incarnation of a day!

But what makes it even more ridiculous is something I read recently. I guess the singles and anti-valentine emotions were perceived as a hindrance to the rule of Hallmark. Isn’t it great we can all celebrate “Love” now? No singles left out.

But is it just me, or do these anti-depressants seem like a business plan? Buy yourself a card? Get stuffed? Sure, come to our restaurants, binge eat, go home, buy some Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s, or Amul (or whichever brand you are used to) and stuff your face some more. That’s a good way to guarantee some clientele that ISN’T buying cards. And then there is of course the increased clientele to the various gyms and fitness centres.

There are benefits of Valentine’s day for someone like me though, happily married, with absolutely no interest in celebrating a consumerist holiday; I get to leave work early. I spend the rest of the day watching old movies, The Bridge on The River Kwai, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Great Escape.

But at the end of the day, I would rather get a holiday for something that at least (on the surface) breeds no hypocrisy, and doesn’t attempt to take itself too seriously.

To end with a quote:

Valentine's Day abbreviated spells VD. Read between the lines.
- The Depressed Doormat

2 comments:

Mez said...

Thanksfor dropping by my blog. And yes,V-day sucks. Been there done that and suffered too.

Thanatos said...

You know, despite all the advertising, I'm yet to meet someone (in a relationship or otherwise) who actually enjoys the day.